Friday, August 7, 2015

Slaughterhouse - Five

A classic I had never read, I borrowed Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse - Five from an English teacher at my daughter's high school. Summer reading.

Not what I expected.

This easy read was all over the place, time and otherwise. It was less a war story than a human-trying-to-deal-with-living-and-dying story. I liked it. 

Page 23:  Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time. 

Page 34:  The gun made a ripping sound like the opening of the zipper on the fly of God Almighty. 

Page 164:  One of the main effects of war, after all, is that people are discouraged from being characters. 

Page 169:  He did not think of himself as a writer for the simple reason that the world had never allowed him to think of himself in this way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment